We Need a Goods and Services Tax - Like Canada

Permalink +

Fri, Dec 28, 2012, 12:33 pm  //  John Lesow

"I don't even know what street Canada's on...."

--- Al Capone, 1929

Mr. Capone did not let geographical challenges impede his success in business. An ardent capitalist, he gave the public what they wanted. He also qualified as a liberal redistributionist long before FDR. Capone set up soup kitchens for the poor during the Great Depression. What a guy.

And he certainly had no hesitation about admitting his lack of knowledge about Canada. Even today, a lot of Americans don't know much about Canada. And could care less.

As a Canadian citizen and taxpayer, I was interested in a reference to Canada on Jean Melious' blog, Get Whatcom Planning. Jean has recently posted several articles on "Agenda 21. "

Apparently, references to Canada and the United Nations are made in Glenn Beck's latest book of the same title.

I certainly don't want my tax dollars funnelled into support of some silly new world order, so I checked out Jean's links.

Fortunately, the commentary about Canada's purported endorsement of One World Government centered around some stale statements by Jean Chretien, our former Prime Minister (1993-2003). In politics, 9 years is an eternity. I doubt if Chretien's vague support of the UN/Agenda 21 program carries much weight in Canada today. There are more important matters to attend to.

As we teeter towards the "fiscal cliff" in the U.S. we would do well to consider some tax policies of our neighbor to the north. Specifically, the Goods and Services Tax, now applied to just about everything one purchases in Canada, with the exception of groceries and medical services.

Introduced by the Conservatives in 1991, supporters of the GST claimed it was necessary to maintain the high level of government services to which Canadians have become accustomed.

As with most new taxes, the GST was reviled by most. Particularly because most Canadian provinces, with the exception of Alberta, already had their own sales tax .

In Canada, the average provincial sales tax is about 6% (like Washington). Still, adding an additional 7% federal tax on top of an existing provincial tax was a pretty good whack. Particularly on big ticket items like cars, boats, homes and RVs.

Instituting the Goods and Services Tax was a tough political sell. Dubbed by opponents as the "Gouge and Screw" Tax, the defeat of Brian Mulroney's Conservative party in the 1993 election was largely attributed to public outrage over the GST.

Although the UN loving, Agenda 21-promoting Jean Chretien campaigned against the GST in the 1993 election, he kept the tax in place after the Liberals won. Who expects politicians to keep their promises?

Besides, the GST provided a reliable revenue stream for all those great government programs that Canadians like to crow about.

Chretien's successor, Liberal Paul Martin, vowed to reduce the GST but wisely retained it during the stormy economic period in the late 90's, when the value of the Canadian dollar slumped to 62 cents U.S. and Canada was, proportionately, nearly as debt ridden as the U.S. is now.

Due to unsupportable unemployment insurance benefits, out of control transfer payments for education and health and a host of other extravagances the country could no longer afford, Canada was facing it's own "fiscal cliff."

Or, as Liberal Prime Minister Paul Martin put it, "Canada hadn't reached debt Armageddon, but we could see it from there."

Fast forward to 2012.

The Canadian dollar is over par with the U.S. buck and will likely stay that way for years.

Due to prudent regulation, Canada's banks avoided the fiscal meltdown experienced by most American institutions in 2008. Fluctuations in the Canadian real estate market have been minimal. Even in these tough economic times, it is still difficult to find a shotgun shack in the Vancouver area for less than half a million. Canadians are flocking to Whatcom County and scooping up our distressed real estate at fire sale prices. A mixed blessing, for sure.

Internationally, Canada was recently ranked 9th on the list of the Top 10 Countries in the World. The U.S. came in 16th.

The reliable revenue stream provided by the GST can't claim all the credit for Canada's economic good fortune, but it has certainly helped. As well as the fact that Steven Harper's Conservative government has held sway for 8 years and counting.

As we lurch toward a possible recession in 2013, it would be a good idea if Democrats and Republicans could agree to institute a national sales tax, similar to Canada's GST.

Stop arguing about the definition of "rich." Whether you pull down $250,000 or a million a year, raising the rate to 39% on these folks is not going to pull the United States out of the fiscal mess created by current and past administrations. Even Harry Reid would (or should) admit that.

But pols have been surprisingly silent about introducing a national sales tax similar to Canada's GST. Even if you are a class warrior and hate the rich, it could be argued that a Goods and Services Tax is, in fact, an indirect tax on the rich. Most of the rich people I know like to buy expensive stuff.

Moreover, consumption taxes give all citizens "skin in the game" as our president likes to say. More than half of Americans pay no income tax at all. Compared to most industrialized countries, we are undertaxed.

Given the results of the last presidential election, plus previous judicial endorsement, it's a pretty good bet that the Affordable Care Act is here to stay. Why not earmark the revenues from a national sales tax to pay for it?

Prices and taxes are higher in Canada, but with a steady stream of funding from the GST, income taxes have been held in check over the past few years and recently the Harper government was able to lower the GST rate by two percentage points to 5%

Canada's universal health care system remains relatively intact, we still have a functioning government pension program and a stable banking system.

Canadians can thank the Liberal and Conservative governments for putting aside their ideological arguments 20 years ago and supporting the GST.

The Democrats and the GOP could take an economic history lesson from Canada as we approach the "fiscal cliff."

hotpickle  //  Sat, Dec 29, 2012, 12:38 pm

Rob Stratton  //  Sun, Jan 06, 2013, 9:37 am

Heavens no we don’t need to give the government more money, they can’t even manage what they take now.

I am fairly certain Capone, was very well aware of where Canada was since much of his product outlawed by progressive government, was obtained from there.

And labeling someone who voluntarily gives to charity or commits charitable acts as a “redistributionist” is just not correct. He didn’t advocate taking other peoples money by force and redistributing it. Let’s not forget that his actions were also a Machiavellian one, in gaining favor and support for himself against government thugs.

If the Canadian tax is so great why are Canadians flocking down here to buy goods? Don’t they know they are being taxed for their own good?

Here in the United States where individuals are not subjects of a Monarchy, we strive for individual responsibility and should not be asking for services from government.

The major reason Canadian dollar is on par with U.S. is not because it is doing good but that ours is doing that poor. Thanks to the governments continual devaluation of our currency.

I don’t like more government intrusion with such unconstitutional bills as the health care act, so why would I want to endorse more taxes to pay for it?

We should take a “history lesson” from Canada? Please tell me you are joking? One of the only reasons Canada, has been able to sustain it’s socialist programs, is it’s large sparsely occupied land mass full of rich resources and the amount of resources the U.S. and other countries buy from them.

Canada has created a bubble economy that will pop fairly soon. They are repeating many of the same mistakes U.S. government thrust upon it’s people by ignoring economic basics and free market rules.

John Lesow  //  Sun, Jan 06, 2013, 9:51 pm

Thanks, Rob

The first few paragraphs of post were tongue in cheek—as were yours; I think

Canadians are flocking to Whatcom County to liberate our groceries from milk, cheese and butter with their par dollars and avaricious appetites.

Particularly in Point Roberts.  If you are a grocer, what to do?

Do you put a limit of 5 gallons of milk per customer?  No.  The last thing a grocer wants is an inventory of milk that is past it’s sell date.  Besides, you can’t tell a Canadian shopper from an American.  I know—I’m both and you could never catch the distinction.

Still, the U.S. shopping habits of the Canadian consumer are causing mild to serious discomfort with American customers that find the shelves occasionally bare of dairy products.

Fortunately, we still have lots of cheap gas for Canadian motorists.  In fact, chances are the petroleum came from Canada in the first place;  oil,  oil shale, etc.  And don’t forget that clean-burning natural gas that Canada sends down to the Pacific Northwest to keep our homes warm in winter.

Canadians did not suffer from the economic downturn to the extent the Americans did.  Particularly in real estate.  You can’t blame Canadians for snatching up distressed real estate in Whatcom County.  And Americans are just as willing to sell their birthright (coal, intellectual property, timber, land) as Canadians are.

Nearly every industrialized country has some form of consumption tax.  The VAT in England is much more onerous than Canada’s GST.  An 11-12% tax on nearly everything we consume is not going to throw the U.S. economy into a tizzy.  Particularly if you can cut back on the Alternative Minimum Tax and/or the payroll tax.
Mortgage interest deductibility?  Canada got rid of that benefit long ago.  However, I think it would be a big mistake to close that “loophole” in the U.S. tax code, as some have suggested.  Our housing market is still too soft and the recovery too fragile to deprive homeowners, and potential homeowners, of that tax break.

Besides, half of Canadians own their homes free and clear.  So do a lot of Americans, not just the millionaires.

I think the “unconstitutional” Affordable Care Act is, like it or not, here to stay.  However, one way to prevent it from bankrupting the U.S. (which it most certainly will) is to finance it with the nearly guaranteed revenue stream provided by a consumption tax, or GST.  Think of it.  Every time you, as a patriotic consumer, buy a candy bar or a fancy car you will be contributing to the health of those 330 million citizens among us.  Even non-citizens.

Bubble economy?  I doubt it.  As you correctly point out, Canada is a vast country with resources the world wants and a population of just 30 million.  A whole country with less population than California.  Which has an 8% sales tax, last time I checked.

Plus, Canada has a good, responsible and boring Conservative government in power. Something I think we both appreciate.

Our Quiet Neighbor to the North should do just fine in the years ahead.

Dick Conoboy  //  Wed, Jan 09, 2013, 8:08 am

GST is just a fancy name for another regressive tax.  What we should be looking for in Washington State is a progressive income tax.

Rob Stratton  //  Tue, Jan 22, 2013, 6:05 am

I have no problem with Canadians flocking here to buy our goods, I think we should have free world wide markets. I drink lot’s of milk and never had a problem purchasing milk or cheese.

If I am a grocer and my product is in high demand I raise prices. Simple economics. I used to buy milk at Costco I now buy at Fred Meyers.

If you are in Point Roberts and run out of goods you order more goods the next time, you adjust to the market.

Yep love all that nice fossil fuel, the reasons Canada comes down here is to avoid paying their ridiculous taxes on it. You would think the country that produces it would have it cheaper.

The reason Canada didn’t suffer like we did was they didn’t create the same government bubble with the same moral hazards our government had, yet now they seem to be following course. The other reason is their population is 1/10th ours with a lot larger country.

I don’t care what other socialistic countries do, if your friends jumped off a bridge would you? I say close all the loopholes, but lower the whole tax burden, people know better what to do with their money than an ever increasing government bureaucracy.

I know you think it is here to stay and unfortunately you may be right because the government will continue to steal funds from those who don’t want it to pay for it. It is humorous to think that it is “patriotic” to pay taxes. The colonies rebelled and formed this union against minor taxes. Thomas Jefferson said the best form of patriotism is dissent. It is also humorous to think that paying these taxes contributes to the health of the other 330 million citizens among us. I can’t change someone’s obesity, smoking, or damaging lifestyle, but these taxes help create a moral hazard for more people not to take care of themselves.

Yes study economics, Canada is starting to repeat some of the same mistakes U.S. has made, hopefully their resources will help pull them out. Like I pointed out their dollar isn’t doing better ours is doing that much poorer. And stealing money more money from our citizenry will not change that but will have the opposite effect.

I say we do all we can to nullify government acts and taxes we don’t agree with.

John Lesow  //  Thu, Jan 31, 2013, 11:12 am

Hi Rob,

Sorry I missed your last post;  I have been out of the country and otherwise occupied. A couple of things…...

First of all, I am likely a lot more conservative than you and I take exception that my adopted country is “socialistic”.  Canada is not perfect, but you would find it difficult to argue that a government that has provided fiscal responsibility, balanced budgets, reasonable public services an an overall higher standard of living is a socialist backwater.

Sorry, but consumption taxes are here to stay, both in the United States and Canada.  Since I am not a conspicuous consumer, Washington State sales taxes do not take an inordinate bite out of my disposable income.  I do favor that everyone pay taxes, not just the “rich”.  We are all stakeholders in this democracy.  As I previously pointed out, a GST or Value Added Tax should be coupled with tax reduction in other areas, specifically income taxes and property taxes.

Personally, I have jumped off a bridge before and suffered no ill effects.  What my friends do is their business, as long as it does not bother me.

Sometimes it helps to personify one’s own situation when rebutting armchair economic theory.  My example of a run on Point Roberts gasoline and dairy products should have been accompanied by a discussion of the loss of personal freedom—in this case travel across international borders—that has been occasioned by the long lineups at border crossings, particular Point Roberts.

It is now routine to have to wait 30 minutes to an hour just to get in and out of Point Roberts.  The same is true at the Peace Arch and Douglas crossings.  In fact, the congestion was the subject of a headline in yesterday’s Province newspaper.  As a working person, I place a lot of value on my time, and not being able to access my home in Point Roberts and my workplace in Canada due to long border lineups has become more than inconvenient.  Just imagine yourself having to wait for 30 minutes to get into, or out of, your own driveway.

I suggest that a consumption tax for health care would provide the incentive you suggest.  If we all paid for the consequences of bad health decisions, we may be more likely to exercise responsible choices.  Right now, most U.S. citizens are all for more comprehensive health care—as long as someone else picks up the tab.

Rob Stratton  //  Sun, Feb 03, 2013, 5:19 pm

No worries, I am a working man and don’t have much time for rebuttals myself.

The reality of the matter is it is socialistic, and so is U.S. united states is a very fascist nation. They didn’t do it quickly like the Marxist or Socialist of Germany, Russia, and Italy, China, etc. We had this inconvenient thing called the constitution that has slowed the tide of socialism even though it has taken major leaps, when the government doesn’t let a “crisis” go to waste. Lincoln, Theodore Roosevelt, Wilson, Franklin Roosevelt, Bush, Obama. But mostly they have used the incremental approach. Canada has taken a few fiscally responsible moves, but they are far from from fiscally responsible, they wouldn’t need the massive amounts of taxes they have if that was remotely true, and I never said they were “backwater”. Their current housing bubble and government programs will eventually collapse, Like Margaret thatcher said the problem with socialism is you run out of other peoples money.

I would say a consumption tax is the least of the evils, but government won’t stop there they never have. An income tax is immoral and contrary to SCOTUS rulings.

Your answer is to pay for the services, my answer is to get rid of these “services”. Government should be limited to protecting rights, property and arbitrating disputes, especially since this is what our constitution basically limits to them. I find most “conservatives” have just as little regard for constitutional restraints as most misnamed “liberals”. Our governments were not instituted to provide social services.

Although your bridge reply is humorous, it is missing the point, not sure if that is intentional or not. I say don’t adopt policies because some other country has done so don’t sacrifice liberty for artificial safety.

I too find it helpful to personify situations to fit my self, but what is needed is to also look at what is not seen. And all the potential problems “government fixes” create. In the larger picture the residents of Point Roberts know about their isolation from the rest of the state, I should not be made to subsidize your lifestyle and where you choose to live. I would also notice what is happening and adjust my lifestyle accordingly, buy more, take less trips, make trips on a boat etc. The increased traffic isn’t sole responsibility for your wasted time. Unconstitutional drug war, increased policing action government protectionism, etc….contribute greatly.

Your suggestion for the consumption tax providing the incentive I suggest is way off base. Because it will lead to even more liberty destructive laws treating everybody as machines that need to be regulated on their maintenance.

“Right now, most U.S. citizens are all for more comprehensive health care—as long as someone else picks up the tab.” Than why was the health bill opposed? And only passed by graft and bribery to hold out congress and senators? And even if this was true, it is a perfect example why “democracy” doesn’t work, and why we need to even be ever more vigilant to fight against popular notions of the majority that suppress the minority who don’t agree.

May I ask what economics you have studied? I have studied the field quite a bit the last few years.

Coal Ship Collisions Study Is Released

Thu, Dec 18, 2014, 4:04 pm  //  John Servais

One part of the environmental study for the proposed Cherry Point mega coal terminal has been completed and released. It deals with ship collisions - they call it…

1 comments; last on Dec 18, 2014

Twas the Week Before Christmas…

Thu, Dec 18, 2014, 11:26 am  //  John Servais

Bellingham Public Works shows how tone deaf they can be to business concerns. They insisted on street work that takes away up to 80 parking spaces in Fairhaven…

0 comments

Silvery Moon In Historic Fairhaven

Fine Jewelry from Northwest Artists

Bellingham City Council Approves Rental Inspections

Tue, Dec 16, 2014, 2:51 pm  //  Dick Conoboy

7-0! City Council Unanimous. Rentals Will Be Inspected in Bellingham. Thanks go to WWU students for speaking out to city council.

4 comments; last on Dec 18, 2014

Council Moving Rapidly on Rental Registration and Inspections

Thu, Dec 11, 2014, 4:05 am  //  Dick Conoboy

The Bellingham City Council has added an inspection component to the registration-only rental ordinance proposal of Councilmember Murphy

4 comments; last on Dec 16, 2014

New Year’s Eve and Consumer Fireworks - Ban in Effect

Wed, Dec 10, 2014, 5:37 am  //  Dick Conoboy

The ban on consumer fireworks that took effect last summer is valid all year, even New Year's Eve

1 comments; last on Dec 11, 2014

Ship Breaks Loose at Port of Bellingham

Tue, Dec 09, 2014, 12:31 pm  //  John Servais

The Horizon Lines ship - the many year resident of the Port of Bellingham - broke loose this morning due to failure of some system. A few photos.

3 comments; last on Dec 10, 2014

Whatcom County and the New Sharing Economy

Tue, Dec 09, 2014, 1:25 am  //  Guest writer

Tani Sutley writes of how unregulated vacation rentals are invading the Lake Whatcom watershed. She urges action before the Planning Commission meeting on 11 December.

3 comments; last on Dec 14, 2014

War and Peace

Wed, Dec 03, 2014, 1:20 pm  //  Richard Lewis

Poet Richard Lewis reflects on Elizabeth Warren

3 comments; last on Dec 07, 2014

Prosecutor McEachran Calls Racism Charge “Preposterous”

Sun, Nov 23, 2014, 3:27 pm  //  Tip Johnson

Wherein Whatcom's Klan heritage may be oozing from some cracks

8 comments; last on Dec 06, 2014

Where are the persuadable voters in the 42nd District?

Sat, Nov 22, 2014, 2:48 pm  //  Riley Sweeney

Riley dives into the data with precinct maps and historical perspectives

0 comments

Campus View Apartment Project Officially Defunct

Thu, Nov 20, 2014, 8:15 am  //  Dick Conoboy

Campus Crest Communities, Inc. has officially offered for sale the Lincoln St. property that was to be a student apartment development.

2 comments; last on Nov 23, 2014

Howard Harris Dies - More Testimonials Added

Wed, Nov 12, 2014, 12:51 pm  //  John Servais

Updated Nov 12. Howard Harris, the founder of the Bellingham silent peace vigil at the Federal Building in Bellingham, has died. He and Rosemary were leaders in our…

0 comments

A Veterans Day Note

Tue, Nov 11, 2014, 1:34 pm  //  John Servais

On this Veterans Day, a note about how vets need our government to step up - as has never been done. And a personal note on the power…

3 comments; last on Nov 13, 2014

Lincoln Street Apartment Development May Be Abandoned

Thu, Nov 06, 2014, 5:53 am  //  Dick Conoboy

The Campus Crest apartment complex may be the "victim" of a corporate restructuring plan.

3 comments; last on Nov 10, 2014

Doug Ericksen’s Tax Lien

Tue, Nov 04, 2014, 11:28 am  //  John Servais

While smearing Seth Fleetwood over a common tax arrangement, we discover Doug Ericksen also has a benign tax lien - one he denied.

6 comments; last on Nov 11, 2014

A Recent GOP History in Not-So-Terse-Verse

Mon, Nov 03, 2014, 7:14 pm  //  Richard Lewis

Poet Richard Lewis weighs in on the Tea Party values

0 comments

Fergusonham

Sat, Nov 01, 2014, 11:29 am  //  Tip Johnson

Or why to vote for Nyima, the dog, for County Prosecutor

4 comments; last on Nov 03, 2014

Election Recommendations

Thu, Oct 30, 2014, 1:18 am  //  John Servais

A link to Riley's Political Junkie for excellent recommendations - and a few thoughts of my own.

1 comments; last on Oct 30, 2014

Something Gristly to Chew On: The rest of the story -

Thu, Oct 23, 2014, 10:01 am  //  Tip Johnson

It's just how things roll in Whatcom County

5 comments; last on Oct 26, 2014

Point Roberts vs. the FCC:  Modern David and Goliath

Wed, Oct 22, 2014, 1:44 pm  //  John Lesow

Update Oct 22: John Lesow has posted a comment with considerable more information on this issue.

1 comments; last on Oct 22, 2014

Tune in TONIGHT for Political Comedy

Tue, Oct 14, 2014, 5:36 am  //  Riley Sweeney

Riley does a local political comedy show

1 comments; last on Oct 15, 2014

Bham Planning Director - Rick Sepler Chosen

Wed, Oct 08, 2014, 5:24 pm  //  John Servais

Three final candidates for Bellingham Planning Director spoke today at a cozy 'meet and greet' of government employees and developers.

6 comments; last on Oct 11, 2014

The Business of Government

Sat, Oct 04, 2014, 11:23 am  //  Tip Johnson

Wherein we see that sometimes government can do what business can't.

9 comments; last on Oct 07, 2014

Rental Conditions -  A Real Estate Inspector’s View

Fri, Oct 03, 2014, 9:26 am  //  Dick Conoboy

An experienced real estate inspector provides a window to the dangeroous conditions found in rentals in Bellingham

3 comments; last on Oct 05, 2014

Few Surprises at the Tea Party Debate

Thu, Oct 02, 2014, 1:33 pm  //  Riley Sweeney

Riley files a full report of the Tea Party debate for State Leg candidates

1 comments; last on Oct 04, 2014

Satpal Sidhu, Candidate for State Representative, 42nd District

Tue, Sep 30, 2014, 7:00 am  //  Guest writer

Wherein a Fulbright scholar, professional engineer and successful business owner files for public office

4 comments; last on Oct 02, 2014

Hickory, Dickory, Docketing…Yet Another Spot Rezone

Mon, Sep 22, 2014, 4:07 am  //  Dick Conoboy

Last Thursday, the Planning Commission voted to recommend the docketing of the spot rezone of 801 Samish from Residential Single to Commerical Planned (non-retail)

6 comments; last on Oct 03, 2014

Samish Way Experience - Drug Dealing Dangers?

Wed, Sep 17, 2014, 9:26 am  //  John Servais

We post a disturbing report of a personal encounter along Samish Way, with the permission of John Stark, who experienced it.

2 comments; last on Sep 17, 2014

Who Will Be Appointed to Lehman’s City Council Seat?

Tue, Sep 09, 2014, 7:21 am  //  Riley Sweeney

Riley and John share the short list of who might replace Cathy Lehman on the Bellingham city council on January 5.

8 comments; last on Sep 10, 2014

An Imminent Threat:  The State Plans for CBR Disaster While Counties Punt

Mon, Aug 25, 2014, 10:48 am  //  Terry Wechsler

While the state spends hundreds of thousands of dollars defining risks of crude by rail, Skagit County finds no significant adverse impacts of a crude-by-rail proposal.

1 comments; last on Aug 28, 2014

You can’t fight city hall: city hall doesn’t fight fair

Fri, Aug 22, 2014, 1:06 pm  //  Guest writer

Patrick McKee of the Sunnyland Neighborhood guest-writes about the August 11 City Council slap-dash zoning changes.

2 comments; last on Aug 23, 2014

Good Friends and Neighbors:  What $54 Million Doesn’t Buy, Part 2

Wed, Aug 20, 2014, 3:54 pm  //  Terry Wechsler

Not content with causing massive inconvenience, BNSF is now literally dumping on county residents.

10 comments; last on Aug 26, 2014

Devil In the Details

Sat, Aug 16, 2014, 2:48 pm  //  Guest writer

Judith Green of the Sunnyland Neighborhood guest writes this brief summary of what went wrong with the planning last week.

1 comments; last on Aug 22, 2014

Good Friends and Neighbors:  What $54 Million Doesn’t Buy

Fri, Aug 15, 2014, 6:12 am  //  Terry Wechsler

A massive upgrade of the Cascade [rail] Corridor has left residents stranded and the sheriff asking Washington, DC, to intervene.

7 comments; last on Sep 02, 2014

Reliable Prosperity

Thu, Aug 14, 2014, 2:13 pm  //  Guest writer

Sandy Robson guest writes of the need for real prosperity at Cherry Point, not a destructive short term coal port that destroys the fishing grounds.

5 comments; last on Oct 02, 2014

Fleetwood versus Ericksen: What Happened in Round One?

Tue, Aug 12, 2014, 9:52 am  //  Riley Sweeney

Some Context for the Primary Results

0 comments

The Rule of Law - Bellingham Style

Mon, Aug 11, 2014, 10:31 pm  //  John Servais

Bellingham City Council abruptly changes zoning codes to force Planning Department plan on Sunnyland residents.

7 comments; last on Aug 14, 2014

Final Updated Election Results

Fri, Aug 08, 2014, 9:10 am  //  John Servais

Updated Wed evening. The Tuesday evening 8:20 pm Auditor report on the election is in.

5 comments; last on Aug 08, 2014

Councilmember Murphy’s Proposed Rental Ordinance Is Deeply Flawed

Fri, Aug 01, 2014, 7:00 am  //  Dick Conoboy

Councilmember Murphy's proposal is based on a complaint-based rental ordinance from Tacoma, demonstrated to do little for the health and safety of tenants.

14 comments; last on Oct 01, 2014

Trial by Fire:  A Rising Tide of Civil Disobedience

Fri, Aug 01, 2014, 3:47 am  //  Terry Wechsler

Carefully planned actions are rolling across the state to make the point that it's not OK to expose us to risks associated with CBR.

7 comments; last on Aug 04, 2014

Northwest Citizen Releases Polling of Whatcom Voters

Thu, Jul 24, 2014, 10:40 am  //  Riley Sweeney

Northwest Citizen has conducted a phone poll of likely voters, with some surprising results!

9 comments; last on Jul 29, 2014

Plan Commission & Samish Neighbors Bypassed on Rezone Docketing

Thu, Jul 24, 2014, 6:52 am  //  Dick Conoboy

In contravention of the Bellingham Municipal Code, the City Council will consider on 4 August a last minute docketing request that ignores the Planning Commission and Samish Neighborhood.

1 comments; last on Jul 30, 2014

Sunnyland Planning Process Explained - Partially

Wed, Jul 23, 2014, 9:47 pm  //  Guest writer

Guest writer Mike Rostron explains how Bellingham city planners played loose and illegal with planning processes.

0 comments

City Council Approves Resident’s Sunnyland Plan

Tue, Jul 22, 2014, 6:22 pm  //  John Servais

Sunnlyland residents win one - after a seven year effort. Planning Department failed them and all of us.

2 comments; last on Jul 23, 2014

What Landlords Need to Know about Rental Registration

Mon, Jul 21, 2014, 4:30 am  //  Guest writer

Landlords are so caught up opposing a licensing and inspection ordinance, they cannot see the upside for them in ridding the city of bad rentals.

19 comments; last on Aug 01, 2014

Sunnyland Deja Vu

Fri, Jul 18, 2014, 12:24 pm  //  Guest writer

Judith Green explains how the Bellingham Planning Department is trying to cram their plan onto a neighborhood.

5 comments; last on Jul 21, 2014

Trial by Fire:  Call to Action to Comment on the BP Pier Expansion

Sun, Jul 13, 2014, 1:26 pm  //  Terry Wechsler

Years after BP completed its north dock, the Army Corps of Engineers released a draft EIS and it's really really stupid.

0 comments

Intrado Not to Intrude in Bellingham

Tue, Jul 08, 2014, 7:20 am  //  Dick Conoboy

The city council "persuades" the city administration to withdraw a request for an intrusive police threat warning system

2 comments; last on Jul 08, 2014

Power to the Permit! (or Closely Hold This!)

Mon, Jul 07, 2014, 5:54 am  //  Terry Wechsler

It is time we stop allowing corporations to externalize the costs associated with their risky business practices, and demand more from our regulators who hold the keys to…

4 comments; last on Dec 15, 2014

Manifest Clandestine-y

Mon, Jul 07, 2014, 4:04 am  //  Guest writer

Guest writer Sandy Robson breaks the story of officials from Washington treated to a coal-promoting junket to Wyoming.

2 comments; last on Jul 13, 2014

A Question of Freedom

Fri, Jul 04, 2014, 4:00 am  //  Guest writer

Ferndale's most famous landmark is frequently commented on and is often in the news. Here is their side of the story.

4 comments; last on Jul 07, 2014

Trial by Fire: Lessons Not Learned One Year after Lac-Megantic

Wed, Jul 02, 2014, 4:14 pm  //  Terry Wechsler

On the anniversary of the Lac-Megantic disaster, communities throughout North America rally in solidarity to remember and protest wholly inadequate government response to crude-by-rail's risks.

4 comments; last on Jul 12, 2014

Sins of Omission

Fri, Jun 27, 2014, 8:01 pm  //  Guest writer

In the Weekly, Tim Johnson left out three words in quoting Craig Cole - and his story misleads readers. Guest article by Sandy Robson.

11 comments; last on Jul 01, 2014

DOJ Grant Brings Confusion and Anger to City Council Meeting

Tue, Jun 24, 2014, 9:24 am  //  Dick Conoboy

The Bellingham Police Department wants to purchase "threat assessment" software with federal monies. Citizen comments were vehement and negative. City Council confused.

5 comments; last on Jul 03, 2014

Widespread Slaughter Won’t Work

Tue, Jun 17, 2014, 9:18 pm  //  Tip Johnson

Wherein the failings of a bad policy framework are revealed

1 comments; last on Jun 19, 2014

Fireworks Ban in Bellingham in Effect as of 18 June

Tue, Jun 17, 2014, 6:53 am  //  Dick Conoboy

The possession and use of consumer fireworks are no longer permitted within the city limits.

1 comments; last on Jun 19, 2014

Now There’s a Thought

Mon, Jun 16, 2014, 4:10 pm  //  Richard Lewis

Poet Richard Lewis on education

0 comments

Herald and Weekly Withhold the News

Wed, Jun 11, 2014, 10:39 am  //  John Servais

Wyoming Senators and coal honchos were in Whatcom County June 10 - to hold a news conference with select reporters.

7 comments; last on Jun 20, 2014

Dawn Sturwold Retiring End of Month

Tue, Jun 10, 2014, 10:20 am  //  John Servais

Bellingham Hearing Examiner, Dawn Sturwold, retires in three weeks. Successor selection is hidden from all of us.

3 comments; last on Jun 11, 2014

Propaganda

Sun, Jun 08, 2014, 5:07 pm  //  Richard Lewis

The poet for the Whatcom Independent back 8 years ago, has accepted our invitation to submit occasional poems to NWCitizen.

0 comments