A minority of one: An open letter to my fellow Bellingham residents

Permalink +

Sun, Aug 19, 2012, 8:29 pm  //  Larry Horowitz

It may come as a shock to some, but until April 2005, I had never attended a city- or developer- sponsored meeting, nor had I ever been inside Bellingham’s City Hall or any other city hall where I’ve lived.  Keep in mind, I’ve been a homeowner since 1984, so that's 21 years of absolute inactivity.

Since that fateful day in 2005, I have found myself to be a lone voice in the wilderness all too often.  Who has the time and energy to be active in civic affairs or to scale the steep learning curve - like where City Hall is even located or what a planning commission is?  Certainly, no one’s paying me no ‘big bucks’ to do it.  Without the financial incentive to get involved, why bother?  Right?

Given the disincentive to get involved, it’s really no surprise I often find myself alone in what I know to be true.

Years ago, I stumbled across a quote by Mohandas (aka Mahatma) Gandhi that really spoke to me:

Even if I am a minority of one, the truth is the truth.

I have found, as fortune would have it, that the truth has magnetic properties, and before you know it you are no longer a minority.

A case in point:  I have recently been told by an elected official that what I know to be true about Bellingham’s ability to accommodate population growth “is not likely to gain great traction in Bellingham, or anywhere in Whatcom County, because it's considered a pretty radical concept.”

With that in mind, I’d like to:

• share what I know to be true;
  • explore why this truth is such a radical concept;
  • and ask you, my fellow residents of this great city, to let me know if the truth has gained any traction with you.

First, the truth:

* There is enough developable land in Bellingham and its urban growth area (UGA) to accommodate the city’s projected population growth

* There is no pressure or need to expand the UGA

* There is no pressure or need to increase the zoning density in established residential neighborhoods.

How do I know this?  Because, in 2005, a member of the Whatcom County Planning Commission asked me to take a look at the Bellingham Land Supply Analysis (LSA).  And I did.

What I found was a number of items requiring adjustment, many of which the city agreed to correct.  By doing so, the paradigm in which it appeared the city’s land supply was not sufficient began to change.  All of a sudden, the city realized that its land supply may actually be adequate after all.  Unfortunately, recommendations to expand the UGA and increase zoning densities had already been adopted and set in motion, so this paradigm shift was completely unwelcome

When I continued to find items needing adjustment, I was told the city would no longer adopt any of my recommendations.  At the time, the most glaring error involved the amount of developable land the city planned to acquire to expand its park system.  The number of acres used in the LSA and Land Use Chapter differed from, and was inconsistent with, the number of acres called for in both the Park Plan and the Capital Facilities Chapter of the city’s Comprehensive (Comp) Plan.  It was clear that the LSA was flawed, but the city refused to either acknowledge or correct the error.

To make a long story short, four of us filed a petition with the Growth Management Hearings Board (GMHB) claiming that the city’s Comp Plan contained an internal inconsistency which violated the Growth Management Act (GMA).  The GMHB agreed but ultimately allowed the city to retain the error in the LSA and Land Use Chapter as long as the error was used consistently in the Park Plan and Capital Facilities Chapter.  The error itself was glaring because it resulted in a $100 million budget shortfall when comparing the cost of land the city said it would purchase with the funds available to do so.

Two years later, in 2008, the city finally corrected the error when the newly adopted Park Plan reduced the amount of parkland the city agreed (and could afford) to acquire by 1,132 acres.

Of course, in order to comply with the internal consistency requirement of the GMA, the city was then obligated to modify its LSA and Land Use Chapter to reflect the newly adopted Park Plan.  Naturally, the city refused to do so, and the initial error remains in the LSA and Land Use Chapter of the Comp Plan to this day.

Since 2006, when the Comp Plan was adopted, the City has added to its UGA – and then annexed - the King Mountain neighborhood.  This addition has never been reflected in the city’s LSA.

Additionally, the city has increased the zoning density in a number of locations since the LSA was adopted.  None of these capacity increases have been reflected in the LSA.

These three significant capacity-expanding actions have created a new paradigm

• The city’s land supply is sufficient to accommodate its projected population growth.
  • The so-called pressure to figure out how to accommodate population is imaginary; it doesn’t exist.
  • The city does not need to expand its UGA, nor does the city need to add multi-family zoning in established single family neighborhoods.

So why is this truth so radical?

By talking with people who attended the various growth forums, I’ve learned that the city long ago presented the community with a false dilemma.  Residents were told that the city did not have sufficient land to house its projected population and were offered only those choices that expanded the city’s capacity: build up or out

The fact is, the city’s land supply is sufficient, and the dilemma presented by the city was false.  The city was prescribing treatment for an ailment that simply did not exist. The truth is radical now only because the fiction has been so well established

Is it not time to finally tell the truth?

So now I turn it over to you, my fellow residents:

Has this truth gained any traction with you?

Vince Biciunas  //  Sun, Aug 19, 2012, 9:31 pm

Larry,

Thanks for speaking out. The truth is important. And I agree with you. It’s a false pressure to infill always and everywhere. And you are not a minority, I don’t think.

I must add, though, that when you say ‘the City’ you are talking about people.
People who work for us in city or county offices, whether elected or appointed or hired, often have constraints upon them. Sometimes it’s politics, or work schedules, or limited fte’s.

I can understand how old inaccuracies are sometimes perpetuated, and not to excuse them, I also don’t blame. It’s good to bring this up and have this discussion and see if the people who can fix the problem are actually able to get it done, soonest.

Vince

Pam Went  //  Mon, Aug 20, 2012, 9:42 am

I, for one, sincerely appreciate what you bring to the conversation, Larry.

I agree with Vince that it is mostly our fellow citizens who make these decisions, most of them elected by us to act on our behalf. No doubt in their positions they may be subjected to pressures we can only imagine, and to information, regrettably, too often not generally available.

And I am grateful to you, Larry, for your ongoing work to ensure that relevant information sees the light of day – well, at least the light of Northwest Citizen! And I’m grateful to John Servais for providing this forum for all these years. I think many of us are better and more thoughtfully informed as a result.  You are not alone, and you may not even be a minority.  Wonder what could happen if everyone felt inspired to speak truth to power?

David Camp  //  Mon, Aug 20, 2012, 1:22 pm

Larry,

This house of cards created out of assumptions creates several more strange outcomes. For example, because the City is supposed to provide infrastructure to support the expected population growth, large projects are created to service imaginary future people. The problem is that these projects are paid for by us poor existing people! Here’s a case in point: my water and sewer bill has been increasing at over twice the rate of inflation over the past 6 years. Why? To pay for sewage treatment capacity for people who are expected to move here. The existing sewage treatment capacity is more than sufficient for all existing residents.

Why should I have to pay for something that not only I but also every other taxpayer in town doesn’t need, and will never need? And the only people who will need it don’t live here, and exist only in the minds of people whose jobs depend on managing projects?

Let the people who profit from selling new houses pay for all the required infrastructure. Otherwise, all that is happening is that every existing resident is subsidising the profits of developers who do not have to bear all the costs of their developments.

It’s really a double whammy - we poor taxpayers are burdened with both the costs of growth infrastrucutre, and all the negative consequences of growth. Just ask any long-time resident if Bellingham has improved or declined in quality of life over the past 25 years. You’ll get an earful, I wager.

Tip Johnson  //  Mon, Aug 20, 2012, 3:27 pm

To begin with, it cannot be underscored heavily enough that the so-called Growth Forums were a complete sham and bogus public consultation.  I sensed it at the first one I attended at the Fairhaven Library. Others noticed, too.  I can’t remember if I or someone else interupted the presenter to ask whether these flim-flam meetings were the City’s Public Participation Plan for the comp plan update.  They enthusiastically said no, that these were preliminary consultations, a kind of scoping, and a PPP would later be announced.  It never was.  Later, when we asked the City when they were going to announce a PPP, they referred to the completion of these very forums.

Second, I’ve bought Larry’s so-called radical ideas from the start so no traction is necessary for me.  However, I think we rightly ought to start seeing his tire treads running across the fine buttoned shirts of certain City bureaucrats and elected representatives.  The most radical idea I’ve heard in a long time is that stable family neighborhoods must accommodate disruptive upzones. As I have previously challeged:  I invite anyone who believes that to start in Edgemore and see if they get reelected.  Their pretend planning precept is code for running roughshod over the poor.

Last, Camp has a valid point.  The institutions of the City - regardless of the nice neighbors working there - are unconscionably geared toward milking the rate base like a cow.  I returned from a few days absence, took a drink of water and thought: Congratulation Bellingham, you have sat on your ass for so long, you have succeeded in making the water taste like it came out of a rubber hose.

Our rates are insanely out of proportion to the quality of service.  And the proof is that both the Port and City are willing to saddle the public with untold millions in costs by ignoring the potential value of Georgia-Pacific’s upland treatment facility.  They will turn it into a yacht basin for boats no one here can afford to own while eliminating our ability to recruit and support family wage jobs, expand our existing industries, or avoid replacing the capacity they would squander.

Read between the lines of Servais’ Wikileaks post and this article of Larry’s.  Masters of secrecy and confusion can keep most people uninvolved and baffle all but a few of the rest.

Christopher Grannis  //  Mon, Aug 20, 2012, 9:20 pm

You are not a minority of one Larry, but we still seem to be a pretty small minority.
City Planning students at Huxley did a study a few years ago showing that there is enough vacant and underutilized land within one mile of the bus station to accommodate growth for decades, and that doesn’t even count the infill potential of the water front.

Suzanne Ravet  //  Tue, Aug 21, 2012, 7:30 pm

Thank you Larry for your leadership and wisdom.  I can attest to the fact that you encourage and support others to get involved and speak out.  If you are a minority of one, it sure won’t be for very long.

Dick Conoboy  //  Wed, Aug 22, 2012, 7:48 pm

There is a Greek term, parrhesia, which means to speak everything or to speak freely or boldly.  The implication is that one must speak the truth even at great risk to oneself.  The concept was fundamental in ancient Greek democracy.  Unfortunately, such speech is seldom welcome today as those who speak the truth and rely on facts are, at times, reviled.  You write the truth, Larry.  You would not be able to do otherwise and this annoys immensely those with vested interests.

Tip Johnson  //  Wed, Aug 22, 2012, 10:45 pm

@Conoboy
I’m starting to like you!

Mike Rostron  //  Thu, Aug 23, 2012, 6:08 am

Just be aware though - sometimes speakers of the truth had to take hemlock!

Dick Conoboy  //  Thu, Aug 23, 2012, 7:27 am

@Tip.
Aw, shucks!

Super Bowl 50 - Wretched Excess

From all the monumentally boring hoopla to the shameful rousting of the homeless Super Bowl 50 exceeds all expectations for greed and excess.

Fri, Feb 05, 2016, 11:45 am
0 comments

Harriet Spanel has passed on

Harriet Spanel was many years our representative in the state legislature and served Whatcom County and Bellingham very well.

Wed, Feb 03, 2016, 4:49 pm
4 comments; last on Feb 04, 2016

Mayor Picks Lisa Anderson for City Planning Commission

Lisa Anderson will fill the remaining term of real estate broker, Cerise Noah. who left the Bellingham Planning Commission several months ago.

Wed, Feb 03, 2016, 1:53 pm
0 comments

In White Skin

Talib Kweli played the Wild Buffalo a couple evenings ago and Ralph Schwartz was there. He writes a very personal take on the evening.

Ralph Schwartz
Mon, Feb 01, 2016, 3:00 am
2 comments; last on Feb 04, 2016

Say Nein to Uber

Uber has started a new type of public taxi service in many cities, including Bellingham. It is controversial.

Sun, Jan 31, 2016, 11:04 am
3 comments; last on Feb 04, 2016

WA State Minimum Wage Initiative - A Race To The Bottom

Raising the minimum wage to $13.50/hr by 2020 cements workers into permanent slave wages that cannot pay the bills.

Mon, Jan 18, 2016, 5:35 am
1 comments; last on Jan 20, 2016

Eagles on the Nooksack

They are less famous than the eagles on the Skagit but closer to Bellingham, fewer people and still lots of eagles. A great January afternoon outing.

Mon, Jan 11, 2016, 11:18 pm
1 comments; last on Jan 13, 2016

Earthquake lightly shakes Bellingham

Earthquake near San Juan Island felt in Bellingham late Tuesday night

Wed, Dec 30, 2015, 12:15 am
0 comments

Kremen & Weimer tell us of Clinton & Sanders

What the campaign styles of local politicians Pete Kremen and Carl Weimer tell us about presidential candidates Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders

Whatcom Citizen
Tue, Dec 29, 2015, 11:06 am
4 comments; last on Dec 31, 2015

Bye Bye

Shell Polar Pioneer floating oil drill rig left the Pacific Northwest for Norway today. Nice holiday gift for all of us.

Fri, Dec 25, 2015, 10:31 am
2 comments; last on Dec 25, 2015

Unregulated vacation rentals on Lake Whatcom

Tani Sutley writes on the continuing issue of houses in residential zones that are used essentially as hotels and disrupt quiet neighborhoods.

Guest writer
Mon, Dec 21, 2015, 2:14 am
0 comments

Whatcom Farmers and Eric Hirst Dialog

Statement by Whatcom Family Farmers on “Eric Hirst and his water ideas” and Hirst's Reply

Guest writer
Sat, Dec 19, 2015, 11:11 am
1 comments; last on Dec 20, 2015

Request for Citizen Evidence

Wherein inquiring minds just want to know!

Tip Johnson
Mon, Dec 14, 2015, 3:58 pm
0 comments

PDC - The Missing Documents

Wherof we cannot speak, thereof we must be silent?

Tip Johnson
Wed, Dec 02, 2015, 8:31 pm
3 comments; last on Dec 06, 2015

Planning Commission Opening Calls for Neighborhood Rep

The Planning Commission has a vacancy. Now is the time for the appointment of a member who represents the interests of the neighborhoods.

Mon, Nov 30, 2015, 5:29 am
0 comments

Update on Lincoln Street Student Housing Project

The student housing project for 648 individuals called NXNW (North by Northwest) on Lincoln Street is moving forward briskly. This is an update.

Mon, Nov 23, 2015, 5:41 am
7 comments; last on Dec 27, 2015

Tax incentives proposed for Fairhaven apartments - Updated

Council to allow three weeks for written comments on tax exemption proposal for high density buildings in quiet Fairhaven neighborhood

Mon, Nov 16, 2015, 10:41 pm
9 comments; last on Nov 19, 2015

Accessory Dwelling Units - There Is No Rush

There is no reason to rush an updated ordinance on ADUs when we do not even know what the current number is or where existing illegal units are…

Mon, Nov 16, 2015, 4:30 am
9 comments; last on Dec 10, 2015

Bellingham Updating Accessory Dwelling Laws

By Shannon Maris. Detached ADUs - the 'mother in law' mini cottages - are being considered by the city of Bellingham. This impacts every home owner.

Guest writer
Sat, Nov 14, 2015, 5:33 pm
3 comments; last on Nov 19, 2015

Veterans Day and Thanking Veterans

Some personal thoughts on thanking our veterans for their service

Wed, Nov 11, 2015, 4:23 am
1 comments; last on Nov 11, 2015

Whatcom Co.: Voting and Vote-Counting with Integrity

An overview of Whatcom County's method of processing ballots and counting votes.

Guest writer
Sun, Nov 08, 2015, 9:25 pm
3 comments; last on Dec 29, 2015

Final Election Returns: Jail Tax Rejected

Satpal Sidhu wins council seat. Virtually all the ballots are now counted. Challenges and a few special are left.

Fri, Nov 06, 2015, 4:37 pm
1 comments; last on Nov 07, 2015

Thursday Voting Update

Jail sales tax is being rejected - and the NO vote is increasing. Sidhu - Kerschner still undecided. Props 2, 3, 9 and 10 all should pass.

Thu, Nov 05, 2015, 9:17 pm
1 comments; last on Nov 06, 2015

Wednesday Vote Changes

Second tally of 10,000 more ballots is in. Jail sales tax is now being rejected. Probably 15,000 or more ballots to go.

Wed, Nov 04, 2015, 6:45 pm
2 comments; last on Nov 05, 2015

Important Election Issues Undecided

The first returns - probably 60% of the final vote - shows contradictory propositions passing and most candidate races decided.

Wed, Nov 04, 2015, 12:05 am
7 comments; last on Nov 04, 2015

Growing Veterans

Growing Veterans was created to empower military veterans to grow food, communities, and each other.

Mon, Nov 02, 2015, 8:04 am
2 comments; last on Nov 04, 2015

More on Propositions 1 and 9

Where more substantial evidence is presented against proposition 9 - and why you should vote REJECTED on it.

Sun, Nov 01, 2015, 9:31 am
24 comments; last on Nov 04, 2015

NWCitizen Publisher’s Voting Choices

As an independent citizen and political junkie, here is how I am voting - with brief reasons for my choices.

Sat, Oct 31, 2015, 2:02 am
8 comments; last on Nov 03, 2015

NAMI Whatcom Opposes Prop 2015-1

The latest addition and the issue in review

Tip Johnson
Tue, Oct 27, 2015, 6:56 pm
0 comments

Dwindling Information Makes Voters Susceptible to Spin

A perspective on the our changing news system, the consequences, and the challenges for the future. With a suggestion of the solution.

Whatcom Citizen
Mon, Oct 26, 2015, 11:39 pm
5 comments; last on Oct 28, 2015

Info Slowmo

When they feel you just don't need to know

Tip Johnson
Mon, Oct 26, 2015, 3:32 pm
4 comments; last on Oct 28, 2015

The Mysterious State of the Whatcom County Jail

Wherein the operative information is $$$ECRET

Tip Johnson
Mon, Oct 26, 2015, 1:57 pm
3 comments; last on Oct 29, 2015

Effort to Stop Bakken Oil Trains

Whatcom group plans meeting workshop to submit comments to Washington Dept of Ecology against Skagit/Bakken oil trains.

Sat, Oct 24, 2015, 1:26 pm
6 comments; last on Oct 26, 2015

Fairhaven Pharmacy Closes Today - For Real

After 126 years in business, Fairhaven Pharmacy closes for the last time at 6 p.m. today. Historic Fairhaven Association to do Halloween photos.

Tue, Oct 20, 2015, 2:53 pm
1 comments; last on Oct 21, 2015

Louws Regrets Jail Mailer

County Executive - and candidate for reelection -Jack Louws has written county officials with his regrets over jail mailer.

Tue, Oct 20, 2015, 9:25 am
8 comments; last on Oct 24, 2015

Let’s not squander the next 30 years

The jail sales tax proposition is a road to perdition for our county. It is a waste and has been deceptively promoted.

Sun, Oct 18, 2015, 11:37 am
4 comments; last on Oct 20, 2015

Making a Jail: Bamboozle!

With a smarmy October Surprise

Tip Johnson
Fri, Oct 16, 2015, 4:52 pm
9 comments; last on Oct 19, 2015

Court: No Radio Towers in Point Roberts

A Canadian radio station is trying to install huge radio towers in Point Roberts for a Canadian audience. Citizen movement has fought them.

John Lesow
Thu, Oct 08, 2015, 7:14 am
0 comments

James King Resigns as Bellingham Parks Director

James King to return to Alaska and take job with U.S. Forest Service. Mayor will appoint a new parks director.

Sat, Oct 03, 2015, 2:47 pm
1 comments; last on Oct 04, 2015

Just Say No - to the Incarceration-Industrial Complex

The "... new jail just doesn't pencil out", writes a well qualified accountant. A look at the future costs of the proposed jail.

David Camp
Fri, Oct 02, 2015, 10:48 am
11 comments; last on Oct 09, 2015

Alternative Jail Proposal for City Center

There is a good alternative for a decent jail - but we first must vote down the jail sales tax proposal in November.

Tue, Sep 22, 2015, 4:54 pm
5 comments; last on Sep 25, 2015

Wendy DeFreest is Opening a ‘Burger Joint’

Wendy DeFreest, of Avenue Bread, will open a new "burger joint" called The Filling Station by late October in Fairhaven. It will not be a sandwich cafe.

Sat, Sep 19, 2015, 3:37 pm
0 comments

That Louwsy Jail Deal

FEMA camp or new county seat?

Tip Johnson
Tue, Sep 15, 2015, 5:26 pm
13 comments; last on Oct 16, 2015

A Learning Moment - Hopefully

Beware walking RR tracks on the Fairhaven waterfront in the event of unexpected encounter with a high speed train

Sun, Sep 13, 2015, 8:42 am
2 comments; last on Sep 18, 2015

Second Water Main Break on Donovan in a Year

Mains a' bursting - Avast!

Tip Johnson
Mon, Sep 07, 2015, 8:06 pm
0 comments

Homeowner to city: Please buy me out

Padden Creek daylighting project strays far from city promises to homeowner that his property would remain intact.

Wed, Aug 26, 2015, 9:17 am
4 comments; last on Sep 05, 2015

How Our Community Can Welcome Our Troops Home

Christopher Brown guest writes how traditional communal warrior reintegration practices could help our returning combat veterans.

Guest writer
Mon, Aug 24, 2015, 4:11 am
0 comments

Black Lives Matter, Occupy WS & Whatcom Jail

A Whatcom Citizen writes of protest movements and how our proposed county mega jail is related to them.

Whatcom Citizen
Wed, Aug 19, 2015, 6:55 pm
15 comments; last on Sep 04, 2015

$15/hr Minimum Wage - Seriously?

Moves to set the minimum wage to $15, even if successful, are woefully insufficient. And why aren't people speaking out about abusive work scheduling?

Wed, Aug 19, 2015, 4:00 am
2 comments; last on Sep 17, 2015

Local retired librarian injured by police

Bruce Radtke, a retired Bellingham librarian, reported to be assaulted by police for handing out leaflets

Guest writer
Mon, Aug 17, 2015, 11:17 pm
5 comments; last on Aug 27, 2015

Predictive Policing Comes to Bellingham

Is the tail wagging the dog? Edward Alexander guest writes on why predictive software for our police needs basic questions answered before purchase.

Guest writer
Sun, Aug 16, 2015, 2:39 pm
1 comments; last on Aug 22, 2015

Gunfight at Cornwall Park on Wednesday

Nothing in the Herald this morning, so NWCitizen is informing citizens of shootout at Cornwall Park.

Thu, Aug 13, 2015, 10:29 am
1 comments; last on Aug 13, 2015

Whatcom Conservation District Elections

Barbara Perry has been researching the secretive election processes of the Whatcom Conservation District. Really secretive. Probably fraudulent.

Guest writer
Sun, Aug 09, 2015, 10:52 am
1 comments; last on Aug 12, 2015

Election Results - Aug 4 Primary

9:52 - final post for tonight. A running blog about the election results on this August evening. Feel free to comment.

Tue, Aug 04, 2015, 7:09 pm
8 comments; last on Aug 06, 2015

The Hansen’s Giant Rental Megaplex - Part 2

While the city deals with permitting on the Hansen rental megaplexes, the council has asked for proposals from staff on design standards for historic areas.

Tue, Aug 04, 2015, 9:14 am
9 comments; last on Aug 08, 2015

Whatcom Co.: 90 Million Gallons of Water a Day

Eric Hirst provides us all with a well researched report on Whatcom County water issues - rights, Lake Whatcom, ground water and more.

Guest writer
Tue, Jul 21, 2015, 11:42 pm
10 comments; last on Aug 12, 2015

Electromagnetic Radiation: Who’s Looking Out for You?

The fight to keep Point Roberts from becoming a Radio Tower Farm is not over.

John Lesow
Tue, Jul 14, 2015, 3:13 pm
3 comments; last on Jul 22, 2015

Kudos to Our Police

Bellingham police are obviously trained to de-escalate armed confrontations. This is the way it should be.

Mon, Jul 13, 2015, 4:38 am
6 comments; last on Jul 14, 2015

Lois Garlick was our hero

Lois Garlick has died. For many decades, she and George served as environmental stewards and leaders in preserving wildlife and nature.

Thu, Jul 09, 2015, 7:27 am
2 comments; last on Jul 10, 2015

Whatcom County Council adds ballot measure

Last minute political maneuvering by liberal council seeks to counter conservative review commission ballot proposals.

Wed, Jul 08, 2015, 8:27 am